Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Standard Chartered Marathon 2011

Standard Chartered Marathon:Runners heading to the Standard Chartered Marathon during the early morning of Dec 4 will enjoy overnight MRT train services on the North-South East-West Lines and the Circle Line.
They have a combined age of 160 years and have run more than 100 marathons between them. At next Sunday's Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore 2011, the two oldest Singaporean runners will be Mr Chan Meng Hui, 81, and Mr Kor Hong Fatt, 79.

Mr Kor, amazingly, only took up running after suffering a heart attack when he was 70 years old. The retired construction manager's first race was the Singapore marathon in 2003 and, since then, he has run a total of 15.

Overnight train services will operate from about 1am to 5.30am, with a frequency of 15 minutes. Runners are expected to throng Orchard, Somerset, City Hall, HarbourFront and Esplanade stations - the closest stations to the three race start points.

To minimise noise pollution to residents living near elevated MRT stations, travelling speeds of trains will be reduced. The journey between each elevated station is expected to be lengthened by about two minutes. The extended train service does not apply to Bukit Panjang LRT and the Changi Airport extension (between Expo and Changi Airport stations).

The Singapore race next week will be his third marathon this year. He ran the Boston marathon in April and the Beijing race last month, which he finished in 5 hours 22 seconds. "I don't push myself too hard but I do want to run Boston again in 2013," he adds.

He adds: "Old couples should not be a problem to the younger ones. My philosophy is to have self-confidence in older age and, most importantly, independence."

I'm not totally convinced about this, however. Even at almost 80, Mr Kor is the consummate competitor. He trains at East Coast Park, which he lives close to, for 12 weeks before a marathon. And when he is not training, he will run a minimum of 10km, four or five times a week, just to keep healthy.

"For the Boston marathon, I was the second oldest male finisher," he declares proudly. "When I decided I wanted to run the marathon, I asked my doctor. He said, 'You have two problems. One, you are over 70 and, secondly, you are a heart patient. How can you run marathons?' I have to be realistic. One day, I won't be able to run. But when I can't run, I will walk."

He is proud to be the fastest runner in Singapore's 70-to-79 age bracket and turning in "young men times", as he calls them.


Mr Chan did not take up running until he retired at 55. He has run marathons in Japan, Berlin, London and the Great Wall of China, to name but a few. He also took part in the Sunrise to Sunset 100km race in Mongolia in 2005: He made 66km before calling it a day but intends to return for another try next July. He has written a book, Run for Life, about his experiences.


"I was smoking two packets a day until I started running. I was drinking two half-bottles of brandy every evening in the nightclub. I wouldn't go home until 5am.

"That was the first part of my life. I knew if I didn't change my lifestyle, I wouldn't live for much longer. Marathon running has allowed me to live my life again."





Tag:Standard Chartered Marathon:Latest news Standard Chartered Marathon.Search result Standard Chartered Marathon.All about Standard Chartered Marathon.Singapore trend Standard Chartered Marathon 2012.redundant, manifold, schindler, sundown marathon 2012, adventman

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger